Friday, May 8, 2009

The Future of the BBT

I envision the Heart of the Mountains Bluegrass Bicycle Tour (BBT) developing along the same lines of say the Appalachian Trail, or the Pacific Crest Trail, or Adventure Cycling routes like the Northern Tier or the more obsure Hayduke Trail. How is this you ask? Let me explain. Each of the aforementioned trails or routes was at first just an idea someone had in their living room. This idea progressed to the point that the person actually went out and did the trail. Word got around, maps and data books were printed, more folks began to do the route and before you know it, you've got a cemented adventure that people do on a yearly basis.

The reason I gravitate so much to the BBT idea is because I have always thought that it is so cool to visit a location when something is going on. Usually this happens to me by accident in my travels. I happen upon a location that happens to be celebrating something and I celebrate with them. Always remembering fondly that location because it was so lively during my visit.

Then I thought, why not, instead of just letting this happen randomly, make it happen on purpose. End up in a location that is getting down, on purpose! Get it?

That's what the BBT is all about. You are on a bonafide bicycle tour, but every 3-4 days, you end up in a location that is having a big party with lots of kindred spirits. You get your solitude on the bicycle and then you get some rest days listening to music and camping with cool people. It seemed like the perfect marriage.

My ultimate vision of the BBT is that it becomes an annual event that people for the exact same reasons they might hike the Appalachian Trail. Is there a good reason? Who knows, I know I love to do it and I know so many who do as well that I'm confident that the idea could blossom.

In years to come I could see the entire tour starting each year in Lyons, Colorado, the home of Planet Bluegrass. There'd be a kickoff party, (modeled after the PCT kickoff party), each year around the end of May at the Planet Bluegrass location where there's plenty camping and the kind folks at Planet Bluegrass might even supply some entertainment for the event. New Belgium might even get into the act as they love bicycles as well. After 1-2 days camping in Lyons, we'd all set off for Pagosa (300 miles) and the Bluegrass Festival there, beginning the 8 weeks of travel around Colorado and Wyoming while going to 6 Bluegrass Festivals along the way. The tour would end where it started, Lyons, Colorado, at the wonderful RockyGrass festival, some 1750 miles later and 99 bands later.

That's the idea. My wife Kiki and I will be the first to complete the tour in 2009 along with anyone else who might want the join in. Then hopefully the idea will catch on as more long-distance minded folks see the beauty of coupling their love of the outdoors with their love of music.

2 comments:

  1. Gary, what a terrific idea! Mike and I rode coast to coast last summer, and we've been daydreaming about what the next adventure will be. BBT sounds awesome! (Although we'll probably have to wait until next summer.) Hope all is well in CB - we miss all our friends in the Butte!
    -Bonnie O'Donnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rigatoni's Amazing Mystery Tours! Count me in.

    ReplyDelete